Thursday, May 21, 2009

Application Week 3 ~ Cognitive Learning Theory in PracticeInstructor: Kathryn ArnoldEDUC-6711I-1 Bridging Learning Theory, Instruction, and Technology

If I have not mentioned it before, I teach choir, and I know that my subject does not demand a lot of respect in the world of education. However, I know that years from now my former students will remember their Spring Cabaret performances and forgotten the names of the state capitals. My students spend months organizing and rehearsing for this event they are immersed in the experience and consequently long term memories are formed during the process.

Long term cognitive memory, is at the center of what we are studying this week, the theory of cognitive learning skills.
Basically the more organized and varied the cognitive input a learner has on a given subject the more mental connections are made and the better the learner’s retention of that subject material. Dr. Orey states this about cognitive tools, “Their roles allow students to interact with information in order to acquire, synthesize, create, and share knew knowledge”(2007). Therefore, using tools such as cues, questions, advance organizers, multimedia, note taking etc. all help students make multiple and varied mental connections that help them synthesize new knowledge.

References:

Orey, M.(Ed.). (2001). Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Bonnie,
    I was in choir during Junior High school and I have to admit I made more connections in that class and remember vivid details of all the concerts I was in. If you were to ask me recall a lesson in math or English I don't think I can give you much details. I have snap shots of what was important to me and I'm sure that it is there some where in my long-term memory.
    Have you found any type of virtual field trips you can take your students on that will connect to the music world?
    Keep up the music flowing!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, I think that your subject area deserves more respect that it is given. Music is such a wonderful and powerful way to make those meaningful connections that are needed to place the learned material into the long-term memory. I think that it takes a special person to teach Music and I give you a world of credit for taking on the role!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie,
    In our last class it was said that in the real world students are not judge by their academic grades but the social skills they have. I think music helps to train then in social skills more then the regular classes. It is so sad when music programs are cut.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ladies,
    Thank you all for your comments. It is nice to be rewarded with the respect of colleges. I have been busy making memories this week with my students, we had an award cerimony, and 6 concerts just this week.

    To address Dawns question, yes I have found field trips the one I chose for this weeks application was to New York City. I am planning a lesson around the song "Give Me Your Tired Your Poor" by Irving Berlin. The plan is to virtually visist the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.

    ReplyDelete