Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Reviewing the Technology GAME plan

Title: Reviewing the technology G.A.M.E. plan.

To begin with I would like to site where the idea of the GAME plan came from. The plan was developed by Katherine Cennamo, John Ross, and Peggy Ertmer in their book Technology Integration for Meaningful Classroom Use (2009). Over the past few weeks I have been developing my own GAME plan to meaningfully incorporate technology into my choral curriculum. In short review, while following NETS•T standard 3c, http://www.iste.org I plan to build a class website that will create a base for students to revisit lessons for each week, stay current with the class calendar, and rehearse their songs with provided links to http://www.carlfischer.com Part-by-Part. I also plan to promote and model digital citizenship making sure that I as well as my students practice legal and ethical us of the digital information, NETS•T Standard 4a.

Last week I revisited my GAME plan and reviewed the resources I would need to accomplish my goals. So far I have set up a working flow chart that I still am changing and tweaking, trying to set up a logical flow of pages and links. I have downloaded a free PDF converter from http://www.pdf995.com/ to help my readers with accessibility. The technology director has been contacted and to begun the process of uploading my new website. And while there has been a few problems creating the proper links with in our school website the project is progressing as planned.
After reading the resources from my Walden University class Integrating Technology Across the Content Areas on assessment I have decided that I wanted to modify my plan by adding a class blog link onto my website. I will use this blog to create a platform for formative assessment of students understanding of musical terminology and digital citizenship. In the article Assessing for Technology Literacy by Dr. Daniel E. Engstrom, he suggests that “… assessment be viewed as a scrapbook rather than a single snapshot. In other words, viewing one particular source of evidence (e.g., a test, a project, notes, or observations) will not give a complete picture of student development”(2005). Student blogs will provide another layer of empirical evidence of what they have learned. Furthermore, with access to the blog being located on the website, parent’s colleagues and administrators can easily access what is being taught and learned in my class giving choir a little more credibility as an academic content.

References:

Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: a standards based approach. Mason, OH: Cengage Learning.

Engstrom, D. (2004). Assessing for technological literacy. Technology Teacher, 64(4), 30-32. Retrieved from Academic Search Premier database November 24, 2009.

ISTE International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). NETS-T. Retrieved November 9, 2009, from Http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/FroTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_T__Standards_Final.pdf

2 comments:

  1. Bonnie,
    It seems you are progressing nicely on your GAME plan. I think working on your website by creating a flowchart is a wonderful idea. Too many of us beging in fits and starts without a true idea of what we want to accomplish. The key to a good website is to create the appropriate forward and back links to make navigation easy for your users.

    I loved Engstrom's idea of assessment being a scrapbook instead of a snapshot as well. It's interesting that we focused on the same thing! I hope we'll still be in our Master's program when you get the blog going - I'd love to hear how it goes. With me teaching Technology, I run into the same problems with validity as you mention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie,

    It sounds like you are off to a good start and have maintained forward momentum with your GAME plan. I was wondering how helpful your technology teacher is at your school? Our tech teacher teaches classes three days a week and integrates with teacher two days a week. Unfortunately, he has not been able to use his integration time with teachers due to the fact that we recently received interactive whiteboards for the entire school. He has had to set up, maintain, fix and answer questions regarding the boards.

    I look forward to the time after the Christmas holiday when things will change and I will be able to utilize him in my classroom.

    I think your flowchart is a great way to organize and store your information. As a physical education teacher, I know what it is like to feel as though you need to validate your curriculum. I think that your website, once it is up and running, will give others an inside view of what students are learning in your classroom. Best of luck as you continue this task!

    ReplyDelete